2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 May 2005 03:49:23 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Principi compares closure to tsunamis

[In view of the overwhelming impact of the Indian Ocean tsunami, I find the base closure comparison - cited in the article below - exaggerated and offensive. If there is a need to make a "Storm Stories" comparison, base closure is at worst a major thunderstorm likely to spawn multiple tornados over a wide area. We know ahead of times that the base closures are coming. We just don't know where. And as GAO points out, recovery, though difficult, will happen. - LS]

Military Base Closings Will Sting, Panel Chairman Says

By ERIC SCHMITT
New York Times
May 4, 2005

WASHINGTON, May 3 - The chairman of the independent commission that will review the Pentagon's list of recommended military base closings warned Tuesday that the impending decisions would be "tsunamis in the communities they hit."

The chairman, Anthony J. Principi, a former secretary of veterans affairs, also promised to provide a "clear-eyed reality check" of the Defense Department's decisions to shutter or shrink military bases around the country.

Highlighting the economic impact that base closings can cause, the Government Accountability Office issued a report on Tuesday stating that communities that lost bases in previous years were "continuing to recover" and had regained about 85 percent of the civilian jobs that were lost.

The report said that most affected communities were faring well when compared with the average American unemployment and income-growth rates, but it added, "The recovery process has not necessarily been easy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/04/politics/04bases.html