2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: lsiegel@cpeo.org
Date: 12 Oct 2005 21:11:13 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Refuge at Longhorn Ammo Plant (TX)

Refuge official: 'We want all 8,500' acres

By JULIA ROBB
Longview News-Journal (TX)
October 12, 2005

KARNACK ? Caddo Lake National Wildlife Refuge Manager Mark Williams said
Tuesday that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, which he works for,
went through a lawful process in attempting to take control of remaining
Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant property.

The only way that process can be stopped is by an act of Congress,
signed by the president of the United States, he said.

"We want all 8,500" acres "to the fence line," Williams said after he
spoke to a crowded public meeting here, one organized by the Greater
Caddo Lake Association.

Williams said the law states that when a federal agency is vacating
land, it must first offer the land to all other federal departments and
agencies, then to the state and then local governments.

http://www.news-journal.com/news/content/news/stories/2005/10/12/20051012LNJCaddo.html