2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 13 Sep 2006 06:17:54 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] September 30 New England Brownfields workshop

Please excuse the multiple postings.
For a formatted (Microsoft Word) version of this announcement, go to
http://www.cpeo.org/WorcesterWorkshop.doc

The Center for Public Environmental Oversight (CPEO), in cooperation with Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) and community leaders from Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, invites you to attend a workshop on brownfields

How Brownfields Revitalization Can Meet Community Needs
DATE: September 30, 2006
PLACE: Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 100 Institute Road, Worcester, MA, 01609

REGISTRATION: No charge to attend, but we are asking people to pre-register by September 20.

Agenda
8:30 - 9:00 Registration:  WPI, Campus Center, Odeon D.

Olin Hall, room 107

9:00 - 9:15 Welcome and Introduction, Lenny Siegel, Executive Director, CPEO
9:15 - 10:00 Panel 1: Converting contaminated property to open space and parks.
Kate Gormly, Deputy Director, Groundwork Lawrence, Lawrence, MA.
Aaron Toffler, Director of the Natural Cities Program, Urban Ecology Institute, Boston College.
10:00 - 10:45 Panel 2: Building Affordable Housing on brownfields.
Elaine Middleton Wijnja, Principal Land Use Planner, Massachusetts Department of Housing & Community Development.
10:45-11:00 Break
11:00-11:45 Panel 3: Siting schools on brownfields.
Robert Dorr, Mashapaug Pond Coalition of Concerned Citizens, Providence, RI.
Brian Wooley, Founder, Wasted Away, New Bedford, MA.
11:45 -12:00 Summary of major issues.
Steve Fischbach, Community lawyer, Rhode Island Legal Services, Providence RI
Larry Charles, Brownfields developer, Hartford, CT
12:00 - 1:00 Roundtable (part 1) : Challenges and Opportunities for community-based brownfields revitalization.
1:00 - 1:45 Lunch (will be provided, Campus Center, Odeon D)
1:45 - 3:00 Roundtable (part 2): New policies for brownfields redevelopment.

(Directions and Registration information on reverse side)

Directions:
(For maps of the WPI campus please see: http://www.wpi.edu/About/Visitors/Images/wpimap.pdf
Public Transportation
* Buses
The city of Worcester is serviced by two bus companies, Greyhound Lines, Inc. and Peter Pan Bus Lines. For fares and schedule information on Greyhound, call 1-800-231-2222. More information on Peter Pan, which only services the northeastern seaboard, is available via a toll-free number, 1-800-343-9999, and an email address, info@peterpanbus.com.
* Commuter Rail
The MBTA Commuter Rail stop in Worcester is about a mile away from campus, located on Shrewsbury Street. The stop is at the end of the Worcester/Framingham line. For fare information, maps, and schedules, visit the MBTA Commuter Rail Web site or call 617-222-3200.

Driving
* From the East
Take Mass. Turnpike (I-90) to Exit 11A (I-495). Proceed north to exit 25B (I-290), then west into Worcester. Take Exit 18 (Lincoln Sq., Rte. 9), turn right at end of ramp, then an immediate right before next traffic light. At next light, proceed straight through, bearing to the right on Salisbury St.* At the WPI sign, turn left onto Boynton St., then right onto Institute Rd. The East Parking Lot is off of Boynton Street, adjacent to the Gordon Library.
* From the North
Take I-495 south to I-290. Follow directions from east.
* From the South and West
Take Mass. Turnpike (I-90) to Exit 10 (Auburn). Proceed east on I-290 into Worcester. Take Exit 17 (Lincoln Sq., Rte. 9), turn left at end of ramp, follow Rte. 9 west through Lincoln Sq., straight onto Highland St.,** then right at light onto West St. Travel one block and cross Institute Road (onto Private Way).
REGISTRATION
Name___________________________________________________________
Title_______________________ Affiliation_________________________________
Address_________________________________________________________
City_____________________ State________________ ZIP___________________
Telephone____________________ Fax______________ Email_________________
Signature_________________________________

Can we include your contact information in the workshop contact list?
Yes____   No ___

To register: You can register by contacting Bob Hersh (voice) 508-831-5522 or (email) hersh@wpi.edu or you can fax this form to WPI 508-831-5485.

For additional information about the workshop, please direct inquires to:
Lenny Siegel, CPEO, (voice) 650-961-8918, email: lsiegel@cpeo.org
Bob Hersh, WPI, (voice) 508-831-5522, email: hersh@wpi.edu
Steve Fischbach, Rhode Island Legal Services, (voice) 401-274-2652 x182, email: steve.fischbach@gmail.com

ABOUT CPEO
CPEO promotes and facilitates public participation in the cleanup and reuse of military bases, Superfund sites, and brownfields. CPEO's broad mission is to educate public stakeholders on both the process technologies for cleanup and environmental protection. Formed in 1993, CPEO has its root in community activism, and it provides support for public advocacy, but it is not a political organization. CPEO conducts site visits, convenes workshops and forums, published articles and reports, and operates two well known internet listserves, the Brownfields Internet Forum and the Military Environmental Forum. For more information about CPEO visit www.cpeo.org.

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org _______________________________________________ Installation_Reuse_Forum mailing list Installation_Reuse_Forum@list.cpeo.org http://www.cpeo.org/mailman/listinfo/installation_reuse_forum