2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 17 Nov 2006 16:19:26 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] South Weymouth's (MA) Westgate Landfill

Submitted by Dave Wilmot <dcatbird37@aol.com>

Hello.

I don't really have any idea of whether anyone will actually read this effort or not as I have not heard from any of the addressees of my last posting to you, two weeks ago.

I believe the questions I raised then were worthy of your attention, but I also know that my housebound existence might make me over anxious for responses, and my concerns are not always easy to address.

Perhaps with the elections past us, I might look forward to some communication from the Congressman's office, or some interest from the locally elected or appointed, but I won't be holding my breath.

Politics in place prohibit any true "Justice for All" from being more than a myth.

The "Public Process" that exists here, has no use for my opinions, or the opinions of anyone engaged here outside the governing political web.

Your combined silences would tell me that.

Hopefully, you continue to speak with one another.

Perhaps no one has any good answers to my stated questions/concerns?
If this BRAC redevelopment process was a sound public process,I'd likely have fewer questions now, than I had eight years ago when I started my involvement.

I don't. I have more and more questions, fueled by a quickly evolving Environmental Health industry and the fact that the great majority of my questions/concerns continue to go unanswered.

Although Congressman Delahunt always returns a boilerplate "Thanks, I'll get back to you as soon as is humanly possible", concerns raised and questions posed years and years ago, remain unanswered.

I probably am seen as harping on my firm belief, that leaving the West Gate Landfill on top of French's Stream is the wrong decision for a water-starved region.

Globe would back me up.

An article entitled "Access to clean water should be a basic human right", told of "water wars" in Africa, where 2 million children are dying each year for lack of potable water, and here at the site of the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station, former host communities are being told that their own water resources will be forever chemically corrupt, because our elected officials refuse to demand health protective cleanup/removal of military toxins.

I don't believe high income towns better connected politically would need suffer the increased health burden that we are forced to sustain.

Tuesday's paper also told of "Foreclosure filings surging in state(Massachusetts)", yet this worrisome trend "has largely spared wealthy communities" and appears most often in working-class communities.

Another article Tuesday reports that between 2002 and 2005 "Hunger has more than doubled in low-income areas (of Massachusetts)".

Lower income communities are given less consideration for protection of Public Health than "Silk-stocking Towns".

I don't for a second, believe people in Hingham or Duxbury would be subjected to these closure conditions that we are being forced into here.

Whether by political connection, available funds or sheer number of lawyers, those communities would not sit still for this treatment. One way or the other they would be availed of the resources needed to protect the health of their families.

The previously quoted African water article ends with calling for the United States to take part in leading a Global Action Plan for funding and protecting the "basic human right" of clean water for the affected largely poor African peoples.

The author further states that the assistance should be looked at as an "investment with huge long-term returns in economic growth and basic quality of life. On practical as well as moral grounds."

I applaud the humanitarianism of this proposed venture, and would surely applaud the same kind of forethought regarding "long-term practical and moral returns" right here downstream of the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station.

                                    sincerely, Dave Wilmot
--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org