2007 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Feb 2007 07:30:43 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] "Stratford [CT] council rages at Army"

Stratford council rages at Army
Officials say Stratford's support not necessary to rebid plant

RICHARD WEIZEL
Connecticut Post Online
February 2, 2007

STRATFORD - The Town Council all but declared war on the U.S. Army Thursday night.

But top Pentagon officials told the 10-member council it was engaging in a battle it could not win.

In its effort to regain control over development of the 79-acre former Army Engine Plant on Main Street, council members blasted Army officials who traveled from Washington, D.C., and threatened not to cooperate with Army efforts to rebid the property.

Town Council Chairman James Feehan, R-9, even warned the Army there would likely be a lawsuit over its decision.

"You know there is going to be a lawsuit by the town's preferred developer that could tie up this project for up to seven years," Feehan said. "And what would happen if the council decides not to cooperate? What if we don't believe you can rebid this property because of estimates it could cost up to $100 million to clean up the contamination there?" Feehan asked.

But Army officials were not intimidated. "I think that would be a gross mistake on your part," said William Birney, acting deputy assistant secretary of the U.S. Army. "We met today with officials in the state's Department of Environmental Protection, and we want and need the town's cooperation too."

http://www.connpost.com/localnews/ci_5139559