1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: coho@whidbey.net
Date: 10 Jan 1995 20:29:04
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Independent Facilition blues

Posting from Bill Skubi <coho@whidbey.net>

With all due respect I think Mr. Dickey is grossly underestimating
grossly underestimating the problem of finding a well respected community
member to act as independent facilitator. For fifty years now in this
military dependent community, any independent stand questioning the Navy
is subject to swift retaliation and conditions practically all civic
behavior.
Three recent examples might illustrate my point.
In 1988 a local internist, Wylie Vracin, MD noted that a 260% increase in
military jet practice carrier landings over residential areas of Whidbey
Island was resulting in his seeing a marked increase of stress related
illness in his private practice. Dr. Vracin was well respected and
serving as the county medical officer at the time, but when he addressed
a meeting of 250 WISE members and his statements were reported by the
press he was severely ostracised by a majority of other doctors. He
thereafter refrained from any public comment.

A local methodist minister took the accepted dim view of " those people
who complain about the Navy" until he retired in 1989 when he promptly
joined WISE and has remained a staunch member every since.

A bold young lawyer was one of the founding members of WISE until he
decided to run for judge at which time he asked to be taken off the rolls
and joined the local chapter of the Navy League.

I realize things might be different at closing bases.

Bill Skubi