1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: gkripke@Essential.ORG
Date: 12 Jan 1995 14:32:36
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Response to the letter to Dep. Sec. Deutch.

Posting from Gawain Kripke <gkripke@Essential.ORG>

I got the following letter from Sherri Goodman in response to our letter
to Dep. Sec. Deutch. Pretty disappointing and not very illuminating. If
you read between the lines, I think it is not favorable, but I may be
interpreting too much. I have been calling over there to get more info
with no success.

Anybody else have info or get a response?

Begin letter here:

[Letterhead of Office of the Under Secretary of Defense]

Mr. Gawain Kripke
Friends of the Earth
1025 Vermont Avenue, N.W., Suite 300
Washington, DC 20005

Dear Mr. Kripke:
 Thank you for your December 20, 1994, letter to the Deputy Secretary
of Defense in support of Environmental Security programs. I agree that,
collectively, we have made much progress in working as partners to get the
right things done.
 The Department of Defense continues to be committed to a fundamental
redesign of the cleanup process based on an approach that emphasizes
speedy assessment, streamlined oversight, stakeholder participation, and
responsiveness to the community. The Deputy Secretary has said that "we
must resist the temptation to measure support for defense solely by how
much money is being spent on readiness." Well, the same caution applies to
Environmental Security programs. DoD will continue to ask Congress to
support our joint efforts to make cleanup cheaper, faster, safer, and
better.
 Thank you for your continuing support of the Department's
Environmental Security Programs.
 Sincerely,
 Sherri W. Goodman
 Deputy Under Secretary of Defense