1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 16:01:12 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: MCCAIN EXPLAINS HIS PROPOSAL

McCAIN's LETTER TO PERRY

 January 23, 1995

Honorable William Perry
Secretary of Defense
The Pentagon
Washington, DC 20300

Dear Mr. Secretary:

 As you know, I wrote to the President on December
5, 1994, asking that he defer the obligation of funding for
certain defense programs, including the environmental
accounts of the Departments of Defense and Energy. I
would like to clarify my intent in including $930 million
in DOD and DOE environmental accounts in the list of
programs characterized as lower priority funding.

 First, let me assure you that I understand the
importance of environmental cleanup and fully support
the need to provide adequate funding to accomplish this
daunting task. Therefore, I believe it is incumbent upon
the Department of Defense to bear its fair share of the
burden of remediating any problems resulting from the
conduct of necessary military activities. However, I also
feel strongly that costs such as research and education, as
well as other costs not directly related to actual cleanup
activities, should be borne equally by all entities, whether
governmental or private, rather than one or two federal
agencies.

 It is in this context that I suggested that a portion of
the DOD and DOE budgets for environmental programs be
reviewed and reconsidered in the context of more fairly
and appropriately allocating the fiscal burden of federal
environmental programming across all government
agencies.

 You and I are both aware of the growing scarcity of
defense dollars to carry out our national security
priorities. Therefore, we must work together now to
ensure that we put the immediate needs of our common
defense as our first priority.

 As Chairman of the Readiness Subcommittee of the
Armed Services Committee, which has jurisdiction over
the environmental restoration program of the Department
of Defense, I intend to look into these issues very closely
during the FY 1996 budget review. I would like to request
your assistance in identifying specific areas of the
Department's environmental restoration accounts which
you believe should be distributed outside of the
department. In this review, I would ask that you look
closely at research and education funding, as well as the
standards and remediation techniques to ensure that
cleanup funding is being used efficiently and in the most
cost-effective way to protect human health.

 As always, I appreciate your assistance in this
matter. I will be sending a copy of this letter to the
Secretary of Energy.

 Sincerely,

 John McCain
 United States Senator