1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 10:13:26 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: CLEANUP BUDGET: Now or Never

NOW OR NEVER: DEFENSE CLEANUP MUST BE FUNDED

 Apparently, the Clinton Administration and key members of
Congress believe that there is no constituency for Environmental
Restoration at Defense facilities. The President's $1.6 billion
request for DERA (the Defense Environmental Resoration Account)
is pitifully far below requirements developed in the field.

 While I accept the need for all Federal programs to shoulder
a share of the fight to cut spending, the proposed cut goes much to
far. If upheld, it will mean:

1) Additional risk of exposure of people and the environment to
hazardous substances from military activities.

2) Continued spread of contaminants, increasing long-term cleanup
costs.

3) Undermining of the partnerships being developed, among all
stakeholders, to improve cleanup.

4) Increased pressure, at each site, to accept inadequate
investigations or weaker cleanups standards.

5) Less opportunity - at closing bases, in particular - to use cleanup
projects to promote economic recovery and career transition.

6) Increased pressure on state and local governments to absorb the
cost or the consequences of Federal decisions.

 It will not be easy to combat the downward slide in cleanup
funding, but if the proponents of environmental security programs
hesitate, things will only get worse. I propose, therefore, the
circulation of statements or letters among various parties, to
illustrate the widespread, non-partisan support for Defense
environmental spending. Potential participants could include state
governments, local governments, Indian tribes, environmental and
environmental justice groups, sympathetic members of Congress,
etc. Each group could tailor statements to their own areas of
consensus, but the common theme would be to maintain steady
funding for cleanup.

 It is important to stress that non-Federal stakeholders are
working hard to make cleanup more efficient. We are helping to
develop mechanisms for improving the setting of priorities, to
streamline regulatory oversight, to demonstrate new technologies,
and to establish real-world cleanup objectives. At a certain point,
however, the Federal government's commitment to meet its legal
and moral obligations may fall so low that we will have to resume
the adversarial stance characteristic of the program before the
1990's.

 Below I have listed some of the points that could be
included in a letter signed by commuity-based advocates of
Environmental Security.

A) Provide steady, sufficient funding for Defense environmental
programs, including $2 billion a year for the Defense Environmental
Resoration Account.

B) Increase funding for the development and demonstration of
innovative Defense environmental technologies, through programs
such as the Environmental Security Technology Certification Program.

C) Fund and implement programs designed to promote partnerships
with local stakeholders, such as training and technical assistance for
RAB members.

D) Continue programs designed to support the development
environmental regulatory capacity of Indian nations and promote
environmental justice.

E) Provide cleanup funds and technical assistance to support the
cleanup of former U.S. bases in less developed host countries such
as Panama and the Philippines. [I'm not sure we want to include
this, for tactical reasons.]

F) Reduce or eliminate funds for the construction of Chemical
Weapons incinerators unless/until they are proven to be safe,
reliable, and cost-effective.