1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 17:54:15 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: GOV. WILSON'S LETTERS TO PERRY

GOVERNOR WILSON'S CLEANUP LETTER

 Governor Pete Wilson
 January 25, 1995

The Honorable William Perry
Secretary of Defense
The Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-8000

Dear Secretary Perry:

 I would like to express my deep concern about recent
actions at the Department of Defense (DOD) and in Congress
regarding cuts in funding for environmental restoration of military
bases.

 The recent decision by Congress to cut $400 million from
the Defense Environmental Restoration Account (DERA) for FY95
continues a disturbing trend begun last year when Congress
rescinded $507 million from the Base Realignment and Closure
(BRAC) Account. California was reassured that the BRAC
rescission would not affect environmental work at closing military
bases, but work was indeed scaled back at several California
military bases due to the cut. The DERA cut presumably means that
DOD will seek to postpone or eliminate environmental work at
operational military baes.

 At the same time, the DOD Comptroller has announced an
additional $437 million in cut for cleanup programs through FY97.
Such actions can only encourage members of Congress who would
like to redirect DOD environmental spending into more traditional
defense programs.

 The continued erosion of cleanup funding inevitably will
threaten the health of armed services personnel and civilians who
work at military bases where contamination is present. It will also
exacerbate economic suffering in commmunities that are struggling
to redevelop closing bases. And, if the federal government will not
meet its cleanup obigation, how can we expect private industry to
do so.

 California expects DOD to comply with the federal/state
cleanup agreements it has signed at California military bases. DOD
is contractually obligated to seek sufficient fundsing to permit
environmental restoration work to proceed according to the
schedules contained in those agreements. California will not
hesitate to assert its right under those agreements to seek fines,
penalties and judicial orders compelling DOD to conduct required
environmental work

 I would be happy to work with you to strengthen support in
Washington for full funding of DOD cleanup work. One way to
reduce oversight costs would be to delist military bases from the
National Priorities List and give states the exclusive responsibility
for overseeing base cleanups. Please do not hesitate to contact me if
I can be of assistance in these areas.

 Sincerely

 Pete Wilson