1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Chris Thomas <christhomas@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 08:16:36 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: CBO Victories w/ Closure????

My name is Chris Thomas. I am volunteering with the National
Economic Development and Law Center in Oakland, CA on
their base conversion project. We are facilitating a meeting on
March 30 (yikes, that's soon) and I have one task that I am still
not satisfied with that I would like to post to you all.

The meeting will be a discussion with community groups in Alameda
about how they can tap into the base closure process.
We are trying to come up with examples of VICTORIES of community
based organizations and their dealings with base closures. For
example, maybe a child's advocacy group got a day care center
sited on a former base, or maybe a community based initiative that
has lead to job creation within the community, ... anything.

My feeling is that there is certainly a lot going on, but that most
initiatives are still in the process stage. I.e. it's tough to find tangible
victories at this early time. Basically we want to be able to hand out a
one page blurb that could serve as kind of a motivational tool for
community groups to plug in and keep to it.

You can reach me at the National Economic Development and Law
Center tel: (510) 251-2600, fax: (510) 251-0600 or you can respond
via email. Thanks very much!

Chris