1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 21:39:13 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: AIR FORCE INITIATIVES

AIR FORCE MEMO ON ENVIRONMENT INITIATIVES

 In March, Air Force Chief of Staff General Ronald Fogleman
and Air Force Secretary Sheila Widnall signed a memorandum, for
distribution to all of the Air Force major commands. The memo
announced three initiative in the area of Environment, Safety, and
Occupational Health.

 It labels the initiatives Sustain Readiness, Be a Good
Neighbor, and Leverage our Resources. To a large degree, they
summarize activity already underway. But buried in the descriptions
are two important milestones:

1. By December, 1995, the Air Force will develop a "comprehensive
airspace and range plan." It explains, "This plan will address both
operational and environmental issues, and support our training needs
for today and the future."

2. By August, 1995, the Air Force is asking its major commands to
"require Restoration Advisory Boards to complete a review of the
relative risk evaluations at our active base cleanup sites." Reportedly,
the Air Force has pilot tested its relative risk evaluation methodology
- which categorizes risk as high, medium, or low at each individual
site within a base - with one RAB, and it found that the process went
surprisingly quickly.