1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 17:54:16 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: BADGER ARMY AMMO PLANT - CSWAB

THE SITUATION AT THE BADGER ARMY AMMUNITION
PLANT

The following is the written version of a presentation made on May
1, 1995 by Laura Olah, Executive Director of Citizens for Safe Water
Around Badger (CSWAB) to a community meeting about the Twin
Cities Army Ammunition Plant sponsored by Minnesota Jobs with
Peace.

 I live near the Badger Army Ammunition Plant, which is
located about a hour's drive northwest of Madison, Wisconsin. The
7,000-acre facility was constructed in 1942 to produce propellant for
cannot, rocket, and small arms ammunition. Not unlike the Twin
Cities plant, waste products that resulted from the production include
metals (like lead, chromium, and cadmium), solvents (carbon
tetrachloride and trichloroethylene) and nitrocellulose, a key
component of explosives. Production occurred during World War II,
the Korean conflict, and the Vietnam conflict. The Badger plant
stopped production in 1975 and has been inactive since then. Olin
Corporation, the current operating contractor, employs 150 people
and their are 6 Army personnel on site.

 Past disposal practices have heavily contaminated surface and
subsurface soil on Badger property. Over the years contaminants
migrated to the water table, creating a plume to toxic groundwater.
On May 9, 1990 the Army reported that drinking water wells serving
three homes south of the Badger plant had been polluted with unsafe
levels of carbon tetrachloride and chloroform. The well of the home
of Ken Lins, close to the plant's southern border, contained the
highest levels of chemicals. The concentration of carbon tetrachloride
was measured at 80 parts per billion - more than 13 times the State's
recommended safe standard of six parts per billion. The Army
estimates these people drank unsafe water for at least 15 years.

 The plume of contaminated groundwater continues south to
within a quarter mile of Prairie du Sac's municipal well which serves
the village's 3,000 residents and has reached the Wisconsin River.
Subsequent testing revealed eight of over one hundred private wells
in this area were contaminated with these compounds and, of these,
four are above state groundwater standards. According to the Agency
for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, a federal health bureau,
exposure to these chemicals is known to induce liver, kidney, and
lung cancers.

 Community members joined together and gained quarterly
testing for 32 private wells, organized public meetings and began
publishing a newsletter. And this was the beginning of our
organization - Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger, or CSWAB.
In 1993, CSWAB successfully blocked the Army's proposal to
increase open burning of waste propellant - a practice that disperses
contaminated ash to the air and pollutes surrounding soils.
Construction of a $425 million facility (SMES) - capable of
producing dangerous levels of electromagnetic radiation - has been
postponed. In 1994 CSWAB leveraged an unprecedented
recommendation from the Wisconsin Division of Health expanding
environmental testing at the Badger plant, ensuring private drinking
wells were adequately protected.

 CSWAB's recent search through State files exposed a
conspiracy between regulators and the Army to cover up laboratory
errors. The State Department of Justice has initiated an investigation
of the incident. The laboratory errors potentially compromise the
integrity of a $6 million environmental study and the safety of nearby
drinking water wells.

 We serve the rural communities surrounding the plant, a
population of approximately 15,000; constituents are principally
rural, working class people. The board consists of four women and
one man; one professional, one retired, on farmer, one homemaker,
and one salesperson. The drinking water wells of two board
members have been impacted by toxins from the local Army facility;
and we all live near the Badger plant. Our board is entirely volunteer;
and I am the only hired staff.

 Our goal is to secure citizen participation in decisions
regarding the Badger Army Ammunition Plant. Historically, the plant
workers and community have been excluded from this process and as
a result, public health and the environment have been damaged. A
1990 study by the Wisconsin Division of Health confirmed that
communities near the Badger plant have a significantly higher
incidence of cancer deaths. The incidence of non-Hodgkin's
lymphoma and kidney/ureter cancer deaths are 50% higher than the
balance of the state. Workers and residents have been exposed to
unsafe levels of air emissions from chemical spills and hazardous
disposal practices. Of the 40 contaminated military sites in
Wisconsin, the Defense Environmental Restoration agency has cited
Badger as the most polluted.

 Unfortunately, my community's experience with military
toxics is not unique. If you live near the Twin Cities Army
Ammunition Plant, you know first hand about the impacts military
pollution has on human health and the environment. Out of 32
contaminated military facilities in Minnesota, Twin Cities has the
second highest number of sources of pollution. (Fort Snelling is
ranked first.)

 For too many years, the military has been able to use
"national security" as an excuse for lying to the public. They simply
have not been held accountable, and we are the ones that have paid
the price. Clearly, public awareness and involvement are critical to
assure that communities know the extent of local pollution, facilities
are adequately cleaned up, disposal methods are safe, and new
military or civilian industry is pollution-prevention oriented to protect
the environment and human health.

 It was for these reasons that in late 1993, CSWAB petitioned
the Department of Defense for the establishment of a citizens
advisory board; of the nation's nearly 1,855 contaminated military
sites, Badger was one of the five pilot sites. There were 15 sites in all
designated by the Army, Navy, and Air Force. The intent of the
Restoration Advisory Boards, or RABs as they're called, was to give
those people who are directly affected by cleanup activities, the
stakeholders, a greater role in the cleanup decision-making process.
Examples of stakeholders include nearby residents, local citizens,
environmental and public interest groups, workers, and Native
American and indigenous peoples.

 The Keystone report, the guidance document for this process,
recommends "special efforts should be made to provide notice and
opportunity to participate for people who are or have historically been
disproportionately impacted by site contamination." Moreover, the
Keystone report recommended that the EPA, through an open and
democratic process, lead the RAB membership selection process.

 Although leadership within the Department of Defense had
agreed to the principles of the Keystone report, the local
Commander's representative ignored this directive and hand-picked
the membership. I was told, first-hand, by one of the members, "I
told Dave (the Commander's rep) that as much as I liked playing
racquetball with him, I really didn't want to be on this board." So
now you have some idea who was on the board.

 Now let me tell you who wasn't on the board. The people
with bad wells. Note one of the families that had wells contaminated
by pollution from the plan was invited to serve on the committee. I'll
remind you of the intent of the RAB, which was to involve people
"disproportionately impacted by site contamination."

 So, my first recommendation to your community is that you
insist the local command honor the recommendations of the Keystone
report. The success of your local group will depend a great deal on
its foundation, which is a membership selection process that is open
and democratic, and a membership that is diverse and representative
of all stakeholders.

 Second, the Army will probably insist that your RAB have
both a community co-chair and an Army co-chair. I think you can
make that work to your advantage. If the Army is a participant in the
decision-making process, then I believe the recommendations that
come of our your committee will have a greater chance of being
implemented.

 Third, I would work very hard to get funding for technical
assistance monies. Like it or not, the RAB members will be called on
to make recommendations on highly technical issues. Even if I was a
hydrogeologist, I don't have expertise in air toxics, RCRA law,
epidemiology... well you get the idea.

 Our RAB, however, despite its rocky start, has effectively
influenced some specific proposals. For instance, a proposal for soil
incineration for cleanup of explosives contaminated soils has been
blocked. The Army is now in the process of conducting treatability
studies for alternative, safer technologies.

 In closing, I can't emphasize enough how important it is for
you to participate in the public decision-making process.

 For generations, we have trusted the military and the
regulators to protect our environment and our families. And look
where we are.

 You have a right to know, you have a right to participate, and
you have a right to have a clean, safe environment for yourselves and
your children.