1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Nick Morgan <nmorgan@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 15:01:35 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Pressure/budgets

Posting from "Nick Morgan" <nmorgan>

Peter - I think that you bring up a good point about the effect
budget cuts have on an installation's desire to conduct remedial
work. I would think, however, that such an attitude is more likely
to be base-specific, or major command-specific, or possibly
service-specific, more so than a DOD-wide issue.

In the example you mention, recommending a no-action alternative is
exactly the response one might expect from a facility trying to avoid
remedial work in the face of budget cuts - assuming that there is
some significant contamination present. However, I would be less
dubious of using a RCRA removal action to address CERCLA
responsibilities. While it is true that there are far fewer public
participation responsibilities under RCRA, there are a few reasons
that doing such work as a RCRA removal might make more sense:

1) It may be easier and faster to secure RCRA funds,
2) Once some work is started under a removal action, it is far more
cost effective to complete all necessary work, rather than just go
after "hot-spots" then come back at some later date and finish the
cleanup.

But if the work is to happen as a RCRA removal, it is certainly
vital that the public/RAB be actively involved in the decisions
leading up to that removal, and that the base openly communicates
that it desires to complete all neccessary cleanup work using under
the upcoming removal action. Often removals are conducted with verey
limited public input, and with much less vigorous review of
alternative cleanup strategies. Removals then, in general, have some
real benefits and drawbacks - yet that is another discussion.

In sum, I think that each base/command/service will respond to
pending budget cuts differently, but you are probably right to recognize that
those entities which have been tending to avoid cleanup, will
continue to do so.