1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 20:50:52 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: GRUMBLY ON D.O.E. E.M. CUTS

ENERGY DEPARTMENT ENVIRONMENTAL PROGRAMS
CUT DEEPLY

I usually focus on Defense Department environmental issues, but the
Energy Department's environmental program just suffered a huge cut
at the hands of the House National Security Committee, too. Please
note that the Environmental Management program includes much
more than cleanup. It's responsible for protecting plutonium
stockpiles, for example.

On May 25, 1995, Assistant Secretary of Energy for Environmental
Management Tom Grumbly issued the following statement:

"The Department of Energy is concerned with the cuts of nearly
$750 million taken by the House National Security Committee from
its Environmental Management budget. We are concerned about cuts
directed to specific program areas, particularly in the high risk
nuclear materials program. In light of the serious health,
environmental, and safety problems posed by the former nuclear
weapons complex, these cuts, which amount to about half of the
Committee's reductions for the Department's weapons cleanup
program, are significant and will have a substantial impact on
program results. The other half were uncosted balances. The belief
that uncosted obligations is 'free money' or a 'slush fund' is not true.
These funds are the result of prudent accounting, resulting from
withholding contractor funds until actions are completed, or
scheduling slippage to obtain permits. We have already reduced our
uncosted obligations and our current balances are $500 million less
than previous years. Cutting our budget on the assumption that these
uncosted balances are 'available' is borrowing from 'Peter to pay
Paul.'

"If finally enacted, the impacts will be felt around the country
through delays in cleanup actions and in additional reductions in the
work force. We will continue to stand by the President's budget,
which supports the most analytically defensible program, and will
work with the Congress to address these concerns."