1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 1995 23:22:39 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: DSB Says BRAC Cleanup Underfunded

BRAC CLEANUP UNDERFUNDED

There's bad news for communities with closing military bases
buried in the recent (April 22, 1995) report of the Defense Science
Board (DSB) Task Force on Environmental Security. Even though
Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) cleanup funding has
escaped the knife in recent Congressional budget action, there still
is not enough money in the pipeline.

The task force (p. ES-8) finds:

"Base Realignments and Closure (BRAC) environmental
requirements are of particular concern. In most cases, land cannot
be transferred to local entities until cleanup has occurred. Yet
BRAC funding is clearly insufficient. The DoD is not now able to
meet all of its BRAC-91 environmental funding requirements and
the environmental funding for the most recent round of proposed
closures (BRAC-95) is not included in current DoD plans and
budgets. Even if the total budget can be kept stable, it may not be
possible to fund all BRAC work in a timely fashion...."

At the June 7 meeting of the Federal Facilities Environmental
Restoration Dialogue Committee, I asked Sherri Wasserman
Goodman, the Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for
Environmental Security, about this DSB finding. She would not
confirm it, but some of my sources in the armed services say that
it's true.

As far as I know, the word - that BRAC is underfunded - has not
gotten out.