1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: dbkGU@hamp.hampshire.edu
Date: 12 Jun 1995 06:36:01
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Comment responses

Posting from "David Keith (ISIS)" <dbkGU@hamp.hampshire.edu>

I posted my comments on the conference with some hesitation because I
knew they would expose me to reaction. Merv Tano's response made me
extremely glad that I did post them.

Merv's response is excellent and I learned from it. I hope it has helped
others more fully understand (as it did for me) the ideas he presented at
the conference. I especially appreciate his insight that, for the long
term especially, we need to become experts in democracy as well as
technology.

I should, by now, have learned that ironic humor is easily mistaken in the
written word.

So to Don Zweifel: please know that I was not literally
accusing Lenny of a conspiracy of dirty tricks in not putting our
affiliations on our name tags. I was (with my tongue apparently too well
concealed in my cheek) trying to compliment him for a good idea: I think
it was good that we could not make instant assumptions about each other.

As for your other comments about politics, I think we again we have a
difference in understanding. Your answer implies that politics are
"ugly," but necessary-- as if they are a contaminant that cannot be
avoided. I am trying to say that we need to regard the political
process-- the process of people making decisions about how to live with
each other-- as central to the RAB process.

Politics are not, in other words, a corruption of the rational, technical
process. They are what the process is about. As Merv Tano so wisely
puts it to me, we need to become experts in technology, but also to
study and to value expertise in democracy.

Your comments and Merv's are helping me learn about that and I thank you.

--David Keith