1995 CPEO Military List Archive

From: mobbsey@gn.apc.org
Date: 07 Nov 1995 00:22:12 +0000 (GMT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: DOD FOREIGN CLEANUP MEMO

I have a ex-USAF base near me - USAF Upper Heyford - which closed
just over a year ago. It has been proposed to redevelop the site
almost immediately for housing.

The site was used for over 40 years by the USAF - finally ending
with over 100 F1-11's being housed there equipped with nuclear
weapons.

Could you tell me how I get the information you note about the DoD
statement on foreign cleanups, and could you give me pointers on
what to ask for/where to ask for it in order to get more information
on what contamination is present at Upper Heyford. The Ministry of
Defence here are refusing to tell people - even those purchasing
land for redevelopment - anything about land contamination. But
unfortunately, unlike the US, we have no freedom of information
legislation.

Any help you can give would be welcomed by myself and the small
communities living around the derelict site.

Paul.