1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 09:12:11 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: THE STATE OF DEFENSE CLEANUP

THIS IS A LONG FILE.
This is the written version of the talk I gave yesterday (January 23, 1996) at the
Defense Cleanup Southwest Conference (Pasha PUblications) in Salt Lake City.

LS

The State of Federal Environmental Restoration Programs

by Lenny Siegel
SFSU CAREER/PRO and Pacific Studies Center
January, 1996

Last year, at about this time, it was not clear whether Defense and
Energy Department environmental restoration programs would survive
in credible form. The Republicans had taken over both House of
Congress with a vengeance. The Heritage Foundation, the ideological
oracle of much of the Republican right wing, had recommended that
the Defense Department get out of the cleanup business. At the time, it
wasn't clear which Congressional staff members would be covering
these issues for the new majority, so there was no one even to talk to.

Now, after about a year, it appears that the cleanup budget will flatten
at a lower level than anticipated under the Democrats. The programs,
however, remain intact. Still their foothold is insecure. That insecurity
is felt repeatedly as facilities across the country negotiate their
programs with regulatory agencies and the public.

At the time of the Republican takeover, cleanup was threatened by
several forces:

1. For ideological reasons, many Representatives and Senators
believed that cleanup wasn't the military's business. That view did not
prevail, but it wasn't because the majority believed in the fairness of
the "polluter pays" principle. Nor did they recognize that "internalizing
externalities" would promote pollution prevention. Rather, they chose
to upheld that age-old Capitol principle: "Never give up jurisdiction to
another committee!" If the Armed Services committees had shifted
cleanup to another agency, they would have given up control of
activities on military bases to other member of Congress.

2. Cleanup diverted money from other military programs. Even
before the Republican victory, Congressional appropriators had staged
last-minute (or later) raids on the cleanup accounts because they
needed to find funds for pet military programs. This was probably the
primary reason for the Congressional cut in the Fiscal Year 1996
Defense Environmental Restoration Account - from $1,622 million to
$1,411 million - but pressures for additional cuts were eased finally
when the Republicans, on the eve of the Bosnian peace
implementation mission, led the President to approve a higher overall
Defense budget.

In this era of budget-balancing, these pressures will re-emerge each
year. Those who support cleanup funding will not only have to
demonstrate the value of those programs. We will have to challenge
unneeded big-ticket weapons systems such as Star Wars and the B-2
bomber.

3. Many members of Congress are unhappy with Federal cleanup
laws, such as CERCLA (the "Superfund" law), in general. Some have
ideological motivations. Some are beholden to companies that wish to
avoid liability. But it's hard to win public sympathy for corporate
polluters. So, as part of their strategy to weaken cleanup laws and
standards, they pointed out how much those rules were costing the
Federal taxpayer. If they were successful in reducing Federal cleanup
liabilities, fairness would dictate that private polluters get a reprieve as
well.

The Superfund debate is far from over, and equal treatment of Federal
and private polluters is a two-edged sword. If non-Federal polluters
are still forced to meet their obligations, then there will be continuing
pressure for the military to meet the same obligations. This is
essentially what happened in my home town, where the Navy was
forced to upgrade its landfill capping technology at Moffett Field to
match the methods used by local governments at their own, nearby
landfills.

4. In general, with the Republican takeover environmental groups
lost their direct lines to committee and subcommittee chairs and staff.
It's ironic, because in many parts of the country Defense cleanup
activists are conservatives and/or Republicans, but for people like me,
the difference was between night and day. I knew and talked to
Congressman Dellums' Environmental Counsel - at the House Armed
Services Committee - before she was hired. I still haven't met the
Republican staffers who have taken over her work.

This is where contractors have a key role to play. As the type of
business that the Republicans claim they want to promote,
environmental technology firms often have access to Republican
leaders and staffers. Weapons manufacturers for decades have worked
to keep their programs funded by showing how spending kept jobs
and business moving in key Congressional districts and states.
Cleanup contractors need to do the same. Like it or not, that's the way
our version of democracy works.

5. The emphasis - in general, a correct one - on protecting public
health has led to narrow policies designed to protect the public by
limiting public access to contamination sites. In particular, the
approach of "cleanup to reuse" is being used to justify future uses
based upon existing contamination. Extremely toxic areas - such as the
Rocky Mountain Arsenal - as well as explosive-laden former impact
ranges - Fort Ord, Fort Meade, the Jefferson Proving Ground - are
being called wildlife refuges. Ammunition plants are dedicated to
similar uses in perpetuity. Military airfields are turned into civilian
airports without considering other, better uses.

I recognize that there are certain locations - for example, much of and
the Jefferson Proving Ground - that cannot be cleaned for unrestricted
future use, at least with today's technology. And there may be other
areas - perhaps nuclear-hardened SAC bases or the Long Beach Naval
Shipyard, which has a huge dry-dock - where for other reasons
industrial uses are the only foreseeable options.

But we must not buy the notion that we can save money by using
future use restrictions to avoid cleanup, unless we can show that in the
long run contaminants will naturally degrade without spreading or
causing harm. We are devaluing the property and passing on the
expense to future generations.

It's like lending your lawnmower to a neighbor who breaks the
blades. When it's returned, he warns you not to use it. You're safe,
but the lawnmower has lost its value. The same is true of the vast
acreages that the military has taken - sometimes involuntarily - from
Americans and our indigenous populations. This land is economically
and culturally valuable. Deed restrictions and fences - if indeed those
are built - don't satisfy those values.

It's hard to know where this issue will go. On the one hand, there
appears to be strong policy support, from the military and Energy
Department, as well as Congress, to link cleanup standards to reuse.
On the other hand Congress has shown that it understands the impact
of inadequate cleanup of closing bases - at least in key states and
districts - by significantly boosting the President's request for
environmental funds at closing bases.

6. Finally, Republicans on Capitol Hill share a frustration with
many of us - responsible parties, regulators, and communities.
Billions of dollars have been spent through the environmental
restoration budgets, but few properties have been declared clean. This
is what led to the short-sighted limitations, proposed by the Senate, on
support for Restoration Advisory Boards and state regulatory agencies
- through the Defense State Memoranda of Agreement. Key Senators
want to move dirt, and they think too much money is being spent on
bells and whistles.

Perhaps more serious, Congress is threatening to arbitrarily cap
studies and administrative expenses at one fifth of the Defense
Environmental Restoration Account. I believe this seemingly
progressive, or at least innocuous, proposal could devastate the
cleanup program, because it is likely to:
* recreate conflict between the military and regulatory agencies
by cutting funds for legally required investigations.
* limit funds for public participation and state oversight.
* lead the military to focus on low priority sites that do not
require much study.
* force the selection of remedies without enough data on the
extent and nature of contami-nation. This could lead to the spread of
contamination. For example, without adequate study, the operation of
a groundwater extraction system with improperly placed wells can
spread pollution over a much wider area.

Instead of imposing an arbitrary cap, it is important instead to develop
and promote approaches to cleanup that streamline the process by
prioritizing oversight, cutting paperwork, eliminating superfluous
studies, and developing better ways to measure success. Many of you
are already doing such work, but Congress appears unaware of the
recent progress that has be made. Therefore, I believe that most
significant thing that we all can do is to tell Congress that we are
indeed aware of the shortcomings of traditional cleanup programs.
Then we need to show them what we are doing to overcome those
shortcomings.

If we don't, they'll put a blunt ax to the program, over and over again.
Eventually, a new Congress will be forced to recognize that such
attacks were shortsighted, but only after increasing risk - to public
health, natural ecosystems, and local economies where closing bases
are located - and forcing the cost of cleanup to rise.

If, however, the new Congress realizes that all of the stakeholders are
indeed working to make cleanup better, safer, faster, and cheaper,
then funding will be sustained and may even be increased as the
positive results come in.