1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: dmiller@pm0.bu.edu
Date: 02 Apr 1996 10:24:42
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: RAB Bylaws

From: dmiller@pm0.bu.edu (Dick and Jill Miller)

Hi, CareerPro readers:
Surprise! It appears that Citizen RAB Charters are not required!
I apologize for this late follow-up. On March 12th, I told you about
our SSCOM RAB in Natick, Massachusetts, and about the exceptionally
brief wording of our draft Citizen Charter.
Well, at our March 14th meeting, we again pushed for the Army to accept
our charter wording. But instead, the Army opted NOT TO SIGN ANY
CHARTER! It "Agreed to disagree," cited our mutual trust as sufficient,
and quoted my own earlier comment that a preliminary definition of the
on-ground study limits is unneeded because "The data will tell us where
to go." Several times during the meeting, the Army and, eventually,
State and EPA members confirmed that a charter is NOT a requirement for
such boards.
This is quite a surprise to me. Our earlier impression was that a
Citizen Charter IS a RAB requirement. Since our first meeting in August
1995, we've received more than a little Army pressure to get a charter
signed "so we could proceed to other important matters." Are we the
only RAB which is surprised that we didn't need a charter after all?
Are we the only one which was told that it did?
And, now that the Army won't be signing, do you see advantages in our
encouraging the other RAB members to sign our draft charter anyway? We
moved to present it at the next RAB meeting, complete with places for
all to sign, and to collect signatures as people wish. We're weighing
the benefit of our own clear statement against the questionable wisdom
of signing any "contract" which lacks the other party -- although we
expect all parties to be represented EXCEPT the Army.
We also intend to add Citizen RAB by-laws, separate from the charter, to
regulate such internal matters as the reelection/replacement of Citizen
RAB members. One issue is the desirability of losing continuity of
citizen members, when there is no such designed-in rotation of the other
members.
We invite your suggestions and comments.
Cheers from
--Dick Miller, Citizen Member, SSCOM RAB (at U.S. Army Natick Laboratories,
 Natick, Mass.)
--
A. Richard & Jill A. Miller | MILLER MICROCOMPUTER SERVICES |
InterNet: DMiller@im.lcs.mit.edu | 61 Lake Shore Road |