1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 09:56:06 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: MOFFETT NEEDS MONEY

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>

***** WARNING ***** This is a long file.

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>

MOFFETT RAB MEMBERS SAY "WE'RE READY TO MOVE DIRT"
In a previous posting, I described how members of the Moffett Field
Restoration Advisory Board - including the Navy, NASA, regulators,
local industry, local government, and environmental activists - had
worked together to develop a compromise remedy for two contaminated
landfills at the former Naval Air Station. Now, in a disclosure in the
spirit of the recommendations of the Federal Facilities Environmental
Restoration Dialogue Committee, the Navy has told the RAB that it only
has enough money to implement the remedy at one of the landfills. In
fact, at the current level of funding, it may never have a large enough
chunk of cash to start action at the other site.
In response, the Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition has been circulating a
letter that has been signed by community members of the Moffett RAB.
The text, without bold emphasis, is attached.
Lenny Siegel
TO: The South Bay Congressional Delegation
FROM: Citizens concerned about the Moffett Field cleanup
SUBJECT: Defense clean-up funding
DATE: May 12, 1996
As local residents working to promote the prompt, safe, cost-effective,
and complete cleanup of hazardous waste contamination of Moffett Field,
we ask you to work to ensure that there is adequate funding in military
cleanup accounts to support the implementation of remedies developed
cooperatively by the Navy, state and federal regulatory agencies, and
the local community. Without a substantial increase in funds available
for the Moffett cleanup, the remediation of at least one toxic landfill
will be delayed for years, leaving in place serious threats to human
health and the natural environment and limiting potential future uses
of and public access to the facility's historic wetlands areas.
Last June the Navy proposed a plan to cap two landfills near the north
end of the Moffett runway. Members of the Moffett Restoration Advisory
Board (RAB) pointed out that the Navy was proposing a less complete
remedy than its civilian counterparts - the local cities - had carried
out at their closed landfills in the same area.
This year the Navy, EPA, and state regulators approved an alternative
that meets many of the concerns raised by the community. The
alternative costs $2.9 million less than the most costly of the
original alternatives. The Moffett RAB, the national model for public
participation in the oversight of cleanup, represents environmental
activists, local governments, industry, and others from surrounding
communities. The RAB has clearly demonstrated that it supports superior
environmental protection that is cost effective.
In spite of the diligent work by the RAB and even though the Navy has
classified these sites as "high risk," the Moffett cleanup team still
does not have the funds to move forward with the agreed remedy for the
larger of the two landfills. Even if the President's fiscal year 1997
budget proposal is adopted without reductions, Moffett expects to
receive only $1.4 million in cleanup funds. Another $7,360,000 in
cleanup projects, including the initial investment in and maintenance
of this landfill project, will remain unfunded. If funding remains at
this level, it will be impossible ever to start a project of this
magnitude and clean-up efforts will be inefficient, insufficient and
piecemeal.
We are pleased that the Navy at Moffett Field, after decades of
unconstrained pollution, has chosen to work with the community to
protect our health, our environment, and our economic future. But that
cooperation will mean little unless Congress provides sufficient
funding to carry out the program.
We are not asking that Moffett be given special treatment. Rather, we
ask that the President and Congress recognize and fund cleanup
obligations that were incurred years ago by the federal government when
the Navy and other federal agencies released hazardous wastes into the
environment.