1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Vernon Brechin <vbrechin@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 12:27:13 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: NEPA NON-COMPLIANCE

From: Vernon Brechin <vbrechin@igc.org>

***** WARNING: This is a very long file *****
THe following was forwarded to me and is regarding Department of Energy
issues.

The following letter is being prepared to send to Secretary
O'Leary before the end of the month. Its general purpose is to
stop, if possible, portions of the stockpile stewardship and
management program (like the "subcritical" tests) and to open a
debate on U.S. nuclear policy with pressure from the disarmament
side.

To sign on contact: Greg Mello at the Los Alamos Study Group by
the end of the day Tuesday:
 lasg@igc.org
 505.982.7747
with your name and your (U.S.) organization's name.
 *********************

May 29, 1996

The Honorable Hazel O'Leary
Secretary of Energy
1000 Independence Ave. SW
Washington, DC 20585

Re: Draft Stockpile Stewardship and Management Programmatic
 Environmental Impact Statement

Dear Secretary O'Leary:

 We are writing to express our profound disappointment and
concern about your Department's draft Stockpile Stewardship and
Management Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (SS&M PEIS
or PEIS). We were, frankly, surprised by the depth and breadth
of its noncompliance with the requirements of the National
Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), all the more so because under
your leadership, many of us have come to expect a higher level of
performance from the Department in this area.
 Regrettably, despite the considerable effort expended on it,
the Department's draft SS&M PEIS precludes meaningful analysis of
the SS&M program by failing to analyze the lion's share of the
projects that constitute the program and by failing to discuss
the full spectrum of reasonable alternatives. The PEIS is so
fundamentally flawed that even a substantially revised version of
the present draft will not satisfy NEPA requirements. Instead,
the Department must begin by withdrawing the current draft PEIS.
The revised scope of a new draft PEIS should and we believe could
be swiftly established by taking into account the multitude of
comments already received (and largely ignored) during the
previous scoping process, and by incorporating the comments