1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: gkripke@igc.org
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 1996 16:59:56 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Alert on Chemical Weapons disposal

From: Gawain Kripke <gkripke@foe.org>

Dear friends,

Many of us have been following the battle being fought by a number of
communities around the country against U.S. Army plans to use incineration
to dispose of chemical weapons stockpiles.

Attached is an action alert being circulated by Kentucky Environmental
Foundation. I hope you will consider helping out.

Gawain Kripke
Director, Appropriations Project
FRIENDS OF THE EARTH
Internet: gkripke@foe.org

** Check out the Friends of the Earth Web Page at:
** http://www.foe.org/

 *** CRITICAL ACTION ALERT ***
CHEMICAL WEAPONS WORKING GROUP
P.O. Box 467, Berea, Kentucky 40403
Phone: (606) 986-7565 Fax: (606) 986-2695
e-mail: kefwilli@acs.eku.edu

JUNE 7, 1996

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUEST ON CHEMICAL WEAPONS INCINERATION

Objective: Get Senate Co-sponsors and/or Support for Senator Ford's
Amendment to Senate Bill 1745.

DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION AMENDMENT PENDING TO STOP INCINERATION :

Senator Wendell Ford (D-Ky) is poised to submit an amendment to the 1997
Defense Authorization Bill, S.1745, that would do the following:

1) Place a three year moratorium on contracts by the Army for incinerators
for CW disposal.

2) Shift $50 Million from the incineration program to ALTERNATIVE
TECHNOLOGIES program to demonstrate non-incineration approaches to include
ALL sites, including CW munitions sites.

3) Change the existing "stockpile elimination deadline" of Dec. 31, 2004
and substitute the U.S. obligations under the Chemical Weapons Convention,
yet to be ratified.

We are seeking your help in getting Co-sponsors for this Amendment. It has
been a 12 year battle to stop this program: NOW IS THE TIME TO ACT!!

Targets: All U.S. Senators, with particular emphasis on those from Oregon,
Arkansas, Alabama, Indiana, Utah, Colorado, Maryland, Hawaii and Kentucky
(McConnell).
 Other primary targets are members of the Senate Armed Services and Senate
Defense Appropriations Committees:

PLEASE CALL OR FAX YOUR SENATOR TODAY URGING THEIR CO-SPONSORSHIP and/or
SUPPORT FOR THIS MOST IMPORTANT AMENDMENT.

If you need information concerning any members phone/fax # please contact
the CWWG office.

Thank You For Your Efforts Regarding This Action Alert--Together We Can
STOP THE BURN!

John Capillo
KEFCAPIL@acs.eku.edu
Kentucky Environmental Foundation