1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 20:05:47 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: CITIZENS OPPOSE RMA ROD

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>

I received the following via fax, from members of the Rocky Mountain
Arsenal RAB & SSAB

Aimee Houghton

 *********

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

 Contact: Rick Warner
 Voice/Fax: 303-722-7981

CITIZENS OPPOSE ROCKY MOUNTAIN ARSENAL RECORD OF DECISION

On June 11, 1996, the country's largest Superfund Record of Decision
will be signed at a by-invitation-only ceremony to be held at the Rocky
Mountain Arsenal. The Arsenal, established by the U.S. Army in 1942 to
manufacture chemical weapons, contains highly contaminated soils and
groundwater. In the 1950's Shell Oil Company leased Arsenal land from
the Army to produce the currently U.S. banned pesticides, dieldrin,
aldrin, and endrin. Rocky Mountain Arsenal is located ten miles NE of
downtown Denver.

Citizen representatives on both the Restoration Advisory Board (RAB)
and the Site Specific Advisory Board (SSAB) have repeatedly voiced
concerns to the U.S. Army, EPA, Colorado Department of Health, and
Shell Oil Company regarding the potential risk of contaminants to
visitors, workers, and wildlife at the Arsenal. RAB and SSAB members
were led to believe by Shell, the U.S. Army, the EPA, and the Colorado
Department of Health that community input on cleanup decisions were
valued, and necessary if a sound cleanup were to take place at the
Arsenal. Instead, we believe our participation was used as a public
relations tool.

The Rocky Mountain Arsenal Record of Decision essentially locks
citizens out of the CERCLA-Superfund process, and closes the door on
the use of alternative technologies for cleanup at the Rocky Mountain
Arsenal. Instead, citizens may look forward to much of the Arsenal's
waste being landfilled or capped in place for 1,000 years, untreated,
with high potential for groundwater contamination in the future.

Worse yet, the U.S. Army has not addressed the problem of unexploded
ordnance (UXO) in several areas of RMA, such as the Complex Trenches
and Basin A. Basin A, used by the Army as a landfill from 1942-1952
contains mustard ton containers, M-125 nerve GB bomblets and other
chemical warfare material, according to the Non-Stockpile Chemical
Material Program's "Survey and Analysis Report" (November 1993). Basin
A will be capped in place, and NOT EXCAVATED under the Record of
Decision signed June 11th.

We cannot endorse a cleanup at Rocky Mountain Arsenal that is less than
protective of human health and environment, and denies future
generations the right to live in a toxic-free Colorado.

Visit our homepage on the World Wide Web at:
 http://www.earthnet.net/~andreja/rma.html
for more information.

 -30-