1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 11:07:18 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Galena, Alaska RAB

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@igc.org>

Steve,

There are definately place where the RAB process is stuck or, in the
case of Fort Ord, close to broken. However, there are quite a few
success stories as well--I can provide you with some examples if you
wish. I would estimate that it is around a 60/40 split--60% doing
well, 40% lag behind.
The RAB process is about 3 years old and is still in the evolutionary
phase.
It sounds as though you are going about things in the right way by
bringing all parties to the table and discussing the issues that are
important to the community. You have a lot of elected official
representation coming, which is important.
Though I know Senator Stevens office is not always in line with the
environmental position, he has taken a great deal of interest in the
RAB process and seems to be particularly interested in Formerly Used
Defense Sites (FUDS). He appropriated $5 million for the support of
RABs at FUDS last fiscal year. This is a large part due the large
quantity of FUDS in Alaska.
Please do keep us informed about the outcome of your July 12th meeting.
Aimee Houghton