1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 02:12:57 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: DIRTY TRANSFER MODIFIED, APPROVED

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>

MODIFIED DIRTY TRANSFER LANGUAGE APPROVED
The House-Senate Conference Committee has modified and approved
language in the Fiscal Year 1997 Defense Authorization Act, which will
allow, under specified conditions, the transfer of military bases and
other federal property to non-federal entities before, as previously
required by the Superfund law, all remedies are in place. Though the
bill is far from enactment - the President may veto it for other
reasons - the current provision is likely to become law.
The new language appeared in the Congressional Record July 30, 1996,
pp. H9006-9007. Quickly reading the fine print, I have found two
substantive changes from the Senate-passed version. (The House bill
included no comparable provision.) When I receive the Conference
Committee's report, I'll go into more detail.
First, at the request of offices of some state attorneys' general, the
Administrator of EPA will be authorized to defer the limitation on
transferring contaminated property on the "Superfund" National
Priorities List "with the concurrence of the Governor of the State in
which the facility is located." As before, the Governor decides the
deferral if the property is not on the National Priorities List. The
Senate language gave the Governor NO role at Superfund-listed properties.
Second, the Administrator or Governor may determine that a property is
suitable for transfer based on a finding that: "the property is
suitable for transfer for the use intended by the transferee, AND THE
INTENDED USE IS CONSISTENT WITH PROTECTION OF HUMAN HEALTH AND THE
ENVIRONMENT." The ALL CAPS clause is new.
I continue to believe the no one ever showed a need for this major
change in the Superfund law. While empowered communities should be able
to use the final language to prevent undesirable transfers, others will
end up helpless when the armed service or other government agency
strikes a deal with local development interests, and then tells the
community, "Take it or leave it."
To minimize the harm, I suggest that activists in states with a strong
tradition of environmental protection work with their state regulatory
agencies and attorneys general to develop procedures for the Governor
or the appropriate officials to make a finding of suitability for the
transfer of property at which remedies are not in place. If strong, but
reasonable rules are put into place in those states, others may follow.
In this way, the damage from this ill-advised change of statute might
be mitigated.