1996 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Gill.Michael@epamail.epa.gov
Date: 05 Nov 1996 15:39:55
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: LAND USE: HAUNTING QUESTIONS

From: Michael Gill <Gill.Michael@epamail.epa.gov>

In my opinion, Sam Goodhope's and Vernon Brechin's comments bring to light some
very important points. We (community and regulators) need to be aware of steps
we are taking now that will impact cleanups later. And, yes, Superfund does
have some loopholes. But with Superfund still not reauthorized (at least for
the past two years), I believe it is important to make decisions in a timely
manner. Do your best now with the existing law. My opinion is that we
regulators are doing the best we can with what we've got - but we don't mind
your help. If you feel you can help, let us know! We are also here to get
these sites cleaned up. Only if we had a crystal ball would we be able to know
how the reauthorization debate is going to play out. Today's election, both
Presidential and Congressional, may help answer some of the questions. But
don't bet on it. There are many forces at play here; political, business and
scientific. So stay with the process and participate.

Regarding DOE's 10 Year Plan(s): Public comment can make a difference here
too. If the site already has a signed Record of Decision, remind DOE that this
is a legally binding document. Any technology or cleanup level changes to that
ROD can only be done with input from the public and concurrence from the
regulators. Anyone who has comments on these 10 Year Plans needs to let DOE
know. It's just like voting: if you don't particpate, you can't complain.

Michael Gill
EPA Region 9
San Francisco