1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Richard Hugus" <rhugus@cape.com>
Date: 10 Mar 1997 18:11:55
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Call for Cease Fire @ MMR

ON THURSDAY MARCH 20 AT 7:30 P.M. AT MORSE POND SCHOOL IN FALMOUTH,
MASSACHUSETTS, EPA Region I Administrator John DeVillars has called a forum
to hear public concerns about continued military use of the Camp Edwards
impact area and firing ranges. It is vital that those of us committed to
the cleanup (and conversion) effort at the Massachusetts Military
Reservation attend this meeting to tell EPA and public officials that 60
years of artillery, mortar, machine gun, rifle, grenade, and demolition
firing in the 2,200 acre impact area is enough and that is time to put a
stop to it now and to begin the job of surveying and cleaning up unexploded
ordnance on this land. As everyone knows, the impact area lies at the very
top of the Sagamore lens of Cape Cod's sole-source aquifer. An effort is
underway to find new regional water supplies in the northern portion of the
base to replace water supplies already lost due to contaminated groundwater
plumes from the Massachusetts Military Reservation. RDX, TNT, and lead have
already been found in groundwater in and near the impact area. We don't
need any more evidence that continued military training is in direct
conflict with the rights of Upper Cape residents to clean air and water, as
well as peace and quiet.

As many people and organizations as possible must attend this meeting to
make a statement on this critical issue. A few years ago we stopped the
burning of artillery propellant. Now it is time to STOP THE ARTILLERY.

Sincerely,

Richard Hugus
Otis Conversion Project
5 Amvets Ave.