1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:28:55 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: HNSC VOTES ON HR1778

The reform package developed by the Committee in an effort to advance a
discussion on possible reforms to the way in which the Defense and
Energy Departments conduct their business simply could not pass
environmental muster in my judgment. It is regrettable that the
Committee rejected Mr. Spratt's effort to remove the environmental
title. The Department of Defense, the Department of Energy, the White
House, as well as environmental and labor organizations, weighed in
with substantial objections to many provisions in the package. Through
public hearings and working with other committees of jurisdiction in
the House, we can hopefully develop the types of reforms that will both
save the taxpayers money as well as preserve important public policies
that protect public health and the well-being of our workers.