1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 12:47:02 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: TITLE III DROPPED

 UPDATE ON H.R. 1778, DEFENSE REFORM ACT
 Thursday, June 19

We won!

Last night the House Rules Committee decided not to allow Title III of
H.R. 1778 (the environmental provisions) as a floor amendment.
Instead only the remaining parts of H.R. 1778, which deal with
Pentagon procurement and personnel issues, will be offered as a
amendment.

All the other nearly dozen Superfund amendments proposed for the
defense bill were also dropped by the Rules Committee.

Many organizations contributed to this victory, but the Colorado
Attorney General, the National Association of Attorneys General, the
Pacific Studies Center, the Natural Resources Defense Council, and
Physicians for Social Responsibility were key to our success.

The work of Reps. John Spratt (D-S.C.) and Ron Dellums (D-Calif.) on
House National Security Committee, and numerous members on the

Commerce and the Transportation and Infrastructure Committees made the
achievement possible.

Thanks to each of you for your help!

| David Culp | E-mail: dculp@nrdc.org |
| Plutonium Challenge | Tel. +1 (202) 289-2388 |
| Washington, D.C. | Fax +1 (202) 289-1060 |