1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: VICKY PETERS <HWPETEVL@dolsmtp.dol.state.co.us>
Date: 02 Jul 1997 07:03:16
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Striving for Balance

From: "Dottie Marron <dmarron@cwsl.edu" <djm@cwsl.edu>

I think we need to strive for a balance between our military needs and
our environmental needs. In most cases, those needs can be met
simultaneously. If not, we should try to find ways to work with the
military to continue cleanup on a slower or reduced pace until the
military crisis is over.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I'm not sure there is disagreement that balance is necessary, the
question is who does the balancing? Who decides when environmental
protection must be sacrificed in the interest of military readiness?

Currently, environmental laws say that is the decision of the President,
not defense bureaucrats. Afterall, it's the defense community that has
made the environment play second, or third, or fourth fiddle for decades.
Now, as a result of their reckless mismanagement, they are saying they
can't afford to clean up.

Why would we choose to give them back the reins when we haven't
dug out from the mess they have already left the next 7 generations?