1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Anne Bade <mwbade@netcom.com>
Date: 21 Jul 1997 14:18:28
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Community Options to Resolve Disputes

Dear Bill and other recipients of the carreer Pro list,
 I was interested to see that in the Alameda RAB report on
possible community responses to deal with cleanup disputes between state
and Federal authorities, no mention was made of the common law public
trust doctrine to which most of the Alameda Base is subject because it
consists of former tidelands which were filled to create the land. This
property is not held like other state or Federal land. Title is held in
trust for all the citizens of the state for certain purposes. When it
ceases to be used for military purposes, many issues of concurrent
trusteeship are encountered, but I continue to believe that the trust
provides a very useful framework within which to resolve planning
disputes in favor of long term public interests.
 For the last year, I have been a member of the peer review panel
for a second edition of the forthcoming book called Putting the Public
Trust Doctrine to Work: The Application of the Public Trust Doctrine to
the Management of Lands, Waters and Living Resources of the Coastal
States. This book will include sections related to problems of concurrent
trusteeship on closing military bases. As a matter of fact, one of the
sessions at next week's meeting of the Coastal States Organization (in
Massachussetts) will be devoted to precisely this topic.
 While there has been strong temptation by most local authorities
to regard the trust as a complex "cloud on title" which must somehow be
circumvented to convert the bases, I have grown to see it as providing a
unique
opportunity to balance public and private interests in open public
discussions. This dispute between State and Federal authorities may
indeed be given guidance by referring back to key trust principles. The
reuse process is now well into its fourth year. It may well be time for
reuse authorities to acknowledge and actually draw guidance from the
unique status of title for these lands.
 Sincerely,
 Michael Warburton
 Coordinator