1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Laura Olah" <olah@speagle.com>
Date: 17 Jul 1997 09:18:43
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: EPA Chicago Conference Excludes Stakeholders

Aimee,
Please post. No response from EPA as of July 12. THANKS!
Laura

Lee J. Regner
Federal Facilities Coordinator
USEPA/Region 5
77 West Jackson Boulevard
Chicago, IL 60604-3590

June 27, 1997

Dear Mr./Ms. Regner:

As representatives of national, regional and local organizations
involved in the prevention and remediation of federal facilities
pollution problems, we were pleased to learn that EPA is convening
"Federal Facilities Conference 1997" July 29-30 in Chicago. Imagine our
disappointment upon finding no mention of organizations like ours or the
people we represent in the conference brochure.

We are not listed among the "WHO?" should attend. None of the speakers
listed are from environmental or community groups active on federal
facilities issues. No mention is made of financial assistance for
participation by affected citizens who will be unable to participate
without assistance.

It almost seems as if EPA/Region 5 believes that these issues can and
should be discussed, perhaps even resolved, without the people most
directly affected -- those who live near polluted and polluting federal
facilities, those who will have to live with the consequences of the
decisions that EPA officials and facility managers make long after the
"decision-makers" have moved on.

We sincerely hope that the problem is with the brochure, not the
conference plan. Some of us (and many others, including high-ranking
officials at EPA and DOD) have spent years trying to build the kind of
trust and openness that real solutions demand. If the intended audience
is as narrow and the agenda as limited as the brochure suggests, this
conference would represent a giant step backward for the cause of
effective and expedited performance improvement at federal facilities.

If our worst fears are true and the conference plan is as misdirected
and inappropriate as the brochure suggests, if plans are not in place to
assure active participation in "Federal Facilities Conference 1997" by
affected citizens, then we regretfully but firmly request that the
conference be postponed until a later date. A maldesigned federal
facilities conference, sponsored by EPA, endorsed at least implicitly by
DOD, would be a completely inappropriate expenditure of taxpayers'
dollars and a major setback for efforts to build trust and cooperation.

A postponement would allow time for the development of a more
appropriate agenda and for assuring more balanced participation and the
kind of constructive dialogue that must occur if real solutions to
federal facilities problems are to be implemented.

We look forward to hearing from you in the very near future. Please
direct replies, at a minimum, to Laura Olah, Executive Director for Safe
Water Around Badger and a member of the Military Toxics Project's Board
and the Sierra Club's national Federal Facilities Task Force. She will
communicate with the rest of us as necessary. Feel free, of course, to
send replies to us all.

Sincerely,

Laura Olah, Executive Director
Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger
E12629 Weigand's Bay South
Merrimac, WI 53561
608-643-3124
608-643-0005(Fax)
olah@speagle.com

Ross Vincent, Chair
Environmental Quality Strategy Team
Sierra Club
P.O. Box 4375
Pueblo, CO 81003

Dick Smith
Citizens for Responsible Fort McCoy Growth
Route 4, Box 290A
Sparta, WI 54656

Charlie Cray
Green Peace/Great Lakes Regional Office
Green Peace Toxics Campaign
847 West Jackson
Chicago, IL 60607

Mark Donham, President
Regional Association of Concerned Environmentalists (RACE)
RR # 1, Box 308
Brookport, IL 62910

Jeff Cefali
PAHLS
102 Morgan Blvd
Valparaiso, IN 46383

Edward McGlinn
Anglers of the Ausable
29933 Barwell
Farmington Hills, MI 48334

Dan L. Alstott, President/CEO
The AuSable Manistee Action Council
6726 Hawthorn Trail
Grayling, MI 49738

Vina Colley
Portsmouth/Piketon Residents for Environmental Safety and Security
(PRESS)
3706 McDermott Pond Creek
McDermott, OH 45652

Ralph Hutchison
Oak Ridge Environmental Peace Alliance
100 Tulsa Rd. Suite 4A
Oak Ridge, TN 37830

Mark Woodall, Acting Chair
Waste Committee
Sierra Club
P.O. Box 185
Woodland, GA 31836

Rick Skillin, Chair
Federal Facilities Task Force
Sierra Club
634-1/2 N. First Street
Lompoc, CA 93436-4712

Susan Patton, Chair
Midwest Regional Conservation Committee
Sierra Club
4956 Prichard Lane
Independence, KY 41051

Cathy Lemar, Executive Director
Military Toxics Project
471 Main Street, 2nd Floor
Lewiston, ME 04240

Susan Gordon, Director
Military Production Network
1914 N 34th, Suite 407
Seattle, Washington 98103

Mary Olson
Nuclear Information & Resource Service (NIRS)
1424 16th St. NW Suite 404
Washington, DC 20036

xc: Carol Browner, Administrator, EPA
Timothy Fields Jr., Deputy Assistant Administrator, EPA/OSWER
David A. Ulrich, Acting Regional Administrator, EPA/Region 5
Sherri Wasserman Goodman, Deputy Undersecretary of Defense (ES)
Gary D. Vest, Principal Assistant Deputy Undersecretary of Defense (ES)
Thomas L. McCall Jr., Deputy Assistant Secretary/Air Force
Elsie Munsell, Deputy Assistant Secretary/Navy
Raymond Fatz, [Army]