1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@igc.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:17:56 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: LAND USE PROPOSAL

LAND USE AND REMEDY SELECTION: A PROPOSAL

The following is the draft of a letter that I intend to circulate soon
for support from (signatures by) public stakeholders, local government
representatives, and others. The letter will be sent to state and
federal policy-makers, including elected officials, with an interest in
or jurisdiction over cleanup policy.

Right now, I am looking for comments. When I circulate the next draft,
I will be seeking signatures.

Lenny Siegel

 Dear _______:

We are writing to draw to your attention a significant issue in the
development of risk management strategies for hazardous waste cleanup:
the relationship of cleanup standards to anticipated future land use.
Remedies based upon institutional land use controls often curtail local
planning prerogatives simply to benefit responsible parties, and those
controls provide uncertain or temporary protection for public health
and the environment. Nevertheless, remedies are increasingly being
linked to the future use of the contaminated property.

We believe that it is both possible and imperative to build safeguards
into the decision-making process, both to recognize that land use
planning generally is and should remain a local prerogative and to
ensure that the local community is prepared to enforce whatever
controls are necessary. Specifically, we recommend:

* The appropriate regulatory agency(ies) shall not approve any remedy
or response that incorporates or requires institutional controls on
future land use without full public review (notice and hearings) and
approval by the applicable local land use planning authority.

* Where, through a formal finding of technical impracticability, it is
found that the property cannot be cleaned to the level desired by the
community, the local jurisdiction still should be directly involved in
the determination of institutional controls, for which in the long run
it may bear the responsibility of enforcement.

* Review and approval by the local land use planning authority should
not diminish the ability of the general community and community working
groups or advisory boards to oversee the remedy selection process,
including the adoption of land use or other controls necessary for
remedies to be effective.

* While the level of public involvement in the cleanup decision-making
process often diminishes once remedies are selected, it's essential to
maintain continuing channels for public oversight wherever those
remedies require long-term institutional controls or active operation
and maintenance.

We believe that this approach will increase the likelihood that land
use controls will be both appropriate and effective. Anything less
passes the economic, health, and natural resource cost of the
contamination to the site's neighbors and the community in general.