1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: sbstarks@elite-limo.com
Date: 21 Sep 1997 13:47:24
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Why We Need A National RAB Caucus-Fort Ord RAB Is Broken!

I am duly impressed, there is alot of misinformation being given about
what had occured at the Ft. Ord RAB agenda meeting. the military is not
setting the agenda, it was set by RAB members two months ago, the bylaws
in question were originally and still are being protested by the writer
and his allies on the RAB, and careerpro did address the so called
question of privelege, it is available in their preliminary report.
Further, an interesting part of the report recommended that we continue
our monthly meetings without a rigid agenda so that communty concerns
were not being overwhelmed by petty procedural issues. Also I like to
point out that the issues brought up were incorporated by the members
that stayed and the substantive concerns will be addressed at the next
RAB meeting. This is a matter of fact.
Now I will be accused by some people of being a stooge, this is not the
case. I also feel that the military is rushing the cleanup. Their
answers concerning dioxin, uxo, the source of water contamination is a
bit to glib for me and should have been explained better. Unfortunately
that was not the case because of certain members obstinate presence
during regular business meetings. A RAB is supposed to call into
question what the military is doing in cleaning up the bases, it is not
supposed to be arguing whether or not a chairperson can call another
memeber outr of order or whether the chairperson ruling should be
considered out of line, let the politicians in the Senate argue that
point, they are after all the " greatest debating society in the world."
We should just be making sure that they appropriate the needed funds to
adequately assure posterity a safe and secure environment.
The Ft. Ord RAB is not broken, it needs to be available to ask
questions, to respect one another and not to argue over mundane
procedures. If the other individuals involved would let that occur, the
Army and FORA ( Ft. Ord Redevelopment Agency ) would not be able to run
roughshod over legitimate environmental and quality of life concerns.

Steven Starks
Community Outreach Chair
Ft. Ord Restoration Advisory Board