1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Greg Hurley" <GregHurley@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 10:21:32 -0700
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: NRAB

October 16, 1997

-To: Saul Bloom: arc@igc.org
 and Lenny Siegel: careerpro@igc.org

 National RAB Caucus meeting-discussion papers.

I am the community chair of the Restoration Advisory Board for Marine
Corps
Air Station El Toro. I represent the Local Reuse Authority on
environmental
and utility issues and I am very active in NAID. I am a California
Registered Environmental Assessor and an environmental lawyer that
specializes in Brownfields redevelopment programs. I will be speaking
before
DERTF, and I plan on attending the National RAB Caucus.

I would like to submit a discussion paper on the following issues:

A. The author's view of the goals and objectives of the effort:

I believe that the NRAB's role should be to provide independent
information
and support for individual RABs and their members. While at some point
the
NRAB might be a lobbying body to help promote programs for the benefit
of all
RABs (for example increasing RAB funding, increasing the RAB's role in
the
BCT, etc.). I do not think that advocacy should be our initial goal.

B. The types of activities the author believes the entities should
undertake:

I believe the NRAB should set up subcommittees to provide information

and
guidance to individual RABs regarding technical, legislative, and legal
issues that those RABs must face. I would like to suggest the following
subcommittees:

1. Subcommittee on the role of the RAB in evaluating institutional
controls
(land use restrictions)
2. Subcommittee on the role of the RAB in § 334 Early Transfers

C. A discussion of the structure the author envisions as most
likely to
advance these goals objectives and activities:

The role of the subcommittee would be to solicit and collect information
which can be distributed to RAB members. I would be willing to share
the
information I have developed and received on institutional controls and
§ 334
Transfers and to assist the NRAB in organizing and maintaining
subcommittees
on these topics.

I believe the NRAB should set up an electronic message board with
folders for
each subcommittee/issue. RAB members can post questions and read
information
on these issues. The message board would be monitored by the
subcommittee.
Please post this on careerpro if you believe it is appropriate. I
welcome
any comments and thoughts on this proposal