1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Paul Zanis <ZAP59@aol.com>
Date: 06 Jan 1998 11:06:08
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Parking Lot at MMR?

Paul Zanis
26 Cove road
Forestdale MA.
02644-1907
508 539 2852

January 2, 1998

Trudy Coxe, Secretary
Office of Environmental Affairs,
Attention: MEPA Unit EOEA 11398
100 Cambridge ST. 20th. Floor
Boston MA. 02630

Dear Trudy Coxe:

The parking lot project should be stopped for several reasons. I
am sure there are many legal questions pertaining to the sight
chosen. Does the National Guard Bureau have the right to give up
the land to development? The National Guard only holds a lease,
they don't own the land. The National Guard has been negligent
since they have held the lease by knowingly polluting/dumping
and spreading of toxins through training and occupation and not
wanting to be held accountable. They have allowed corporations
to hold leases and be unaccountable/unchecked on activities
taking place on the leased lands. The National Guard has clearly
shown it is incompetent when it comes to managing the land and
should not be allowed to offer up land. This endeavor should be
part of the master plan. If this endeavor requires cutting down
the forest around ponds and wetlands when there are plenty of
alternate sights available on already cleared land. With the
disturbing reports I am receiving on the impact area groundwater
study no construction of any type should take place on Otis/Camp
Edwards until the citizens know the state of our water supplies.
Again,the master plan process and maybe even more foresight will
be needed. If I get the additional test wells or proper
placement of proposed wells I want you will see that our current
and future water supplies are very much in danger, so we will
need this area as a watershed. Where will the displaced wildlife
go? To the impact area? You know not much lives out there! I
sure would like to give you a tour of the area!

Sincerely,
Paul Zanis