1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Polly Parks <pparks@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 12:54:43 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: NABER Response Con't.

Probably the key issue that would need to be worked out is
whether it wouldbe a FEERDC type of group (making
recommendations) or a Dialogue (like the Munitions Policy
Dialogue). Plusses for either type of group. Also who the NABER
has the flexibilty to report to. It is useful for DoD to have
dialogue and/or recommendations, but w/current disorganization
due to devolvement and the Administration budget cap,
recommendations are next to impossible to get institutionalized.
Unless Congress is clearly part of the audience, I think it will
be hard to make the leap from the rather frustrating mechanisms
thus far.

I like the suggested elected representative scheme (though I'd
make it smaller bodies of RABs; next step regions; then have
three region-wide meetings a year and one big baby with
everyone. Make sure the national meeting had presence not just
from the Feds but other key sectoral players like states (aty
gen, regs, state legislatures) and the environmental private
sector.

Polly Parks