1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Polly Parks <pparks@igc.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 15:02:11 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: COHEN LETTER

Regarding Jim Oyler's comment on Executive Orders:

Executive Orders are a means for the President to put his/her stamp on the
conduct of the executive branch. It is not Congressional law. E.O. 12114
if implemented would allow the Executive Branch to undertake reasoned
decision-making on how to handle military-related environmental effects
abroad rather than the current state of affairs which ranges from willful
mishandling (Dept. of State) to the conflicting guidance of the Dept. of
Defense that does not support implementors in the field, assist host
nations, or get the job done. Federal decision-makers need to understand
that we can get the job done. Unfortunately with our current bureaucracies
in the federal government that does not happen unless they have management
tools that assist them in that endeavor.

At 11:10 AM 2/20/98 -0800, you wrote:
>At 03:51 PM 2/19/98 -0800, Aimee Houghton wrote:
>>The following is a letter to Secretary of Defense Cohen as referenced
>>the earlier posting excerpted from Defense Environmental Alert.
>
>Cut to here.
>
>> Re: E.O. 12114 -- Military-Related Environmental Impacts Overseas
>
>E.O. are nothing more than a means to violate the Constitution. As such
>all laws are the duty of the Congress as per the Constitution.
>
>Jim Oyler

Polly Parks