1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Center for Public Environmental Oversight <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:07:03 -0700
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Yukon River and Galena Air Force Installations

We came across this article on the CNN Web Site. For the full story go
http://cnn.com/EARTH/9804/19/yukon/index.html

Runoff pollution poisoning Yukon River
 April 19, 1998 Web posted at: 4:30 p.m. EDT (2030 GMT)

Summary

Galena, AK--The Yukon River, which is nearly 2,000 miles, has become
polluted by the three "M's" of arctic pollution: mining, manufacturing
and the military. At the headwaters of the Yukon, it is contaminated
with PCBs and creosote from manufacturing and the Klondike Gold Rush
contributed decades of mining runoff waste. However, most of the
groundwater contamination has come from the three decommissioned U.S.
Air Force installations around the Galena Village area. The pollution
has taken its toll on wildlife and humans. The indigenous residents
live off the land and the river is an important part of their
ecosystem. Galena's leaders have chosen not to go to court to press the
U.S. Air Force to pay to clean up the contaminants. Instead, the Galena
villagers have developed a partnership. "We have developed a very
cooperative approach with the military," said Steve Howdeshell of the
Louden Tribal Council. EPA has said that federal money and expertise
will begin flowing into the region.