1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 13:58:05 -0700
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Outsourcing

The operative terms for this discussion are "decision-making and
accountability". Most DoD cleanup programs have a large contractor run
it from top to bottom, with DoD oversight. DOE programs got into trouble
because large contractors made the mess first, and then were paid to
clean them up. Although there was DOE oversight, the technical problems
that created the need for cleanup were often too complex for there to be
meaningful accountability.
Unfortunately, even at DoD cleanup sites, it is very difficult for the
DoD project manager to disagree with the "experts" it has hired. While
decision-making and accountability remain with the miltary branch, I
frankly do not know if it is meaningful. All the more important to have
the public involved.

Peter Strauss