1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@cpeo.org>
Date: 30 Jun 1998 15:15:16
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Update on Defense Reform & Devolvement

On February 2, 1998 we posted a letter (below) from CPEO (formerly
CARERR/PRO)
to Sherri Wasserman Goodman regarding anticipated staffing changes in the
Environmental Security office. Following the February 2nd letter is Ms.
Goodman's response, which we just received last Friday.

Aimee Houghton
CPEO

February 2, 1998

Sherri Wasserman Goodman
Deputy Undersecretary of Defense (Environmental Security)
Room 3E792 The Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301

Dear Ms. Goodman:

It has come to my attention that the staff and function for the TAPP
(Technical Assistance for Public Participation) program are to be
transferred from your organization to one of the armed services. I am
writing to ask you to reconsider this decision.

I don't want to tell the Defense Department how to conduct its own
business internally, but this program is designed to support the
interaction between all military components and the public. Particularly
because TAPP has not yet been implemented, it's essential that it remain
centered in your offices. Furthermore, public stakeholders at Navy and
Air Force facilities will be confused by the Army's role.

I recognize that the Secretary of Defense has decided to shift the
Pentagon workload from his office to the armed services. However, I
believe that any Defense program that is intended to serve public
stakeholders or the regulatory community and which relates to the
activities of all the Defense components should remain in the Office of
the Secretary of Defense. At the very least, any internal organizational
changes with significant external implications should be discussed first
with external stakeholders. Since I have not seen the full
re-organization plan, I am concerned that the shift of additional
positions and functions may cause similar difficulties.

Please note that I am not singling out the Defense Department for
criticism. When, a few years ago, EPA announced plans to disband its
federal facilities office, members of the public and state regulators
asked EPA to reconsider. I believe your office joined in expressing your
concern. We were successful. EPA was able to streamline its organization
without creating obstacles for stakeholders outside the agency. I am
confident, given the small number of positions involved, that the
Defense Department can do the same.

sincerely,

Lenny Siegel
Director, SFSU CAREER/PRO

Office of the Under Secretary of Defense
3000 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-3000

Mr. Lenny Siegel
425 Market Street, 2nd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105

Dear Mr. Siegel:

This responds to your recent letter regarding transfer of environmental staff
and functions from my office to the components in connection with the Defense
Reform Initiative. I have given this matter considerable attention over the
past few week, and have made adjustments to my original reorganization plan
which I believe will address you concerns, as well as those of the Readiness
Subcommittee of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

I will retain a staff position, and thus a strong advocacy role, within in
the
Office of the Secretary of Defense for Restoration Advisory Boards and
Technical Assistance for Public Participation. RABs are operating throughout
the Department of Defense (DoD), and are clearly a success story. I believe
the essential tools are in place to move forward on TAPP this year. The TAPP
rule is final, DoD guidance has been issued and a core group of Service
personnel have been trained on TAPP procedures. These trainers are now
preparing installation staff to work with community members of RABs and
Technical Review Committees who request assistance to help their
participation
in the restoration program.

I appreciate your support of DoD's environmental security program and
interest
in helping our community involvement efforts succeed. I look forward to
continuing to work with you..

Very truly yours,

Sherri W. Goodman

--
Aimee Houghton
Program Coordinator

A Program of the San Francisco Urban Institute