1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Rainer Knoll <mfan15@rrze.uni-erlangen.de>
Date: 23 Sep 1998 10:29:48
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Range Fires

[NOTE: These questions come from someone in Germany concerned about US bases. --
Aimee]

I'm living next to the big US training area at Grafenwoehr/Germany. In spite
of the army`s policy to say nothing to the public I was told depleted uranium
was shot as well as all other explosive rounds (by tank and A10 aircraft). It`s
clear that the big impact area contains a lot of UXO (unexploded ordnance). We made as well the observation of (uncontrolled?) fires not always but mostly in the  summer.

So I have some questions:
1. Is it a official method of the army to make a cleanup of an impact area by
burning fires?
2. What are the reasons for cleaning up an impact area? Isn`t it an
restricted area?
3. Do they cleanup only when retiring?
3. How is to proof if there are depleted uranium rounds (for sure, the army
denies)?  What about burning that?

Rainer Knoll
ZuB
http://home.t-online.de/home/rainer.knoll@t-online.de/zub.htm