1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Steven Pollack <themissinglink@eznetinc.com>
Date: 28 Aug 1998 20:24:55
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Environmental Remediation Funding

Frank W.Gibbons
"CLEANUP STANDARDS ARE ALREADY BEING INDIRECTLY SET BY PUBLIC POLICY IN
THAT CONGRESS FOR THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS HAS NOT BEEN WILLING TO FUND
DOD ENVIRONMENTAL
CLEANUP AT GREATER THAN $2 BILLION WHICH IS DOWN ABOUT 4-6% FROM THE
PEAK IN 1994."

$2 Billion? Thats less than one submarine, isn't it? Weren't three
such submarines ordered this year, which the GAO found the Navy did not
even want, in order to keep a failing shipyard in business? Now I can
see why the Army refuses to characterize the waste in Landfill 7 which
may turn out to be so hazardous as to trigger land disposal
restrictions. (It is in an unlined ravine next to Lake Michigan, inside
an eroding bluff.) Removal costs were estimated to run $700 million.
Better not to know than risk upsetting a measley $2 billion budget.

Can anyone answer how much Superfund gets in funding on a yearly basis?
I would find it interesting to compare it to the $2 billion which the
DoD spends. Also, can anyone tell us what percentage of NPL sites are
DoD? I would find it interesting to know if DoD sites are being funded
on the same per site level as non-DoD sites.

I am very thankful we have environmental lawyers such as Sam Goodhope to
enforce the third prong of checks and balances of power in this
country. It appears that if we leave it up to the Executive and
Legislative branches of government where the DoD and DOE can wield
immense influence, we will never cleanup this United States of America
to standards based on needs instead of budget. To be fair, I too
recognize the dedication and commitment of several sterling individuals
within this community.

There are serious flaws in the current system however which need a court
review and remedy.

Steve Pollack
steve@familyjeweler.com
http://www.familyjeweler.com/fortweb.htm