1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@cpeo.org>
Date: 28 Oct 1998 17:26:29
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: What a Long Long Road....

Greetings,

Just recently this newsgroup passed the 4-year mark--that's right, we've been
posting information on military environmental issues for 4 years. Though
actual numbers are difficult to determine, our readership has grown
approximately 500%.

The newsgroup continues to provide a forum for all people involved in the
cleanup process to ask questions, respond, voice concerns, and share
information. Lately we have received questions regarding our policy on what
items we post and how we edit those postings. Below is our policy.

As our readership has grown we have made a conscious effort to maintain the
integrity of the newsgroup by posting items that relate back to federal
facility and military cleanup. Our intent when we created this newsgroup was
to provide a place where the wide range of environmental cleanup issues could
be discussed. Often times we post items where the position of CPEO differs
greatly from the posting. Nonetheless, it is our policy to publish all
viewpoints. Thus, we DO NOT edit for content at all. Occassionaly we may
correct spelling or spell out acronyms. There are times when an author wishes
to remain anonymous and we respect that wish. Simply, our goal is to provide
as much valuable information as we can on military and federal facility
cleanup issues and in the process promote lively discussion and proactive
solutions.

Fiinally, a Website: http://www.cpeo.org

Thanks to the hard work of our staff (see below), CPEO now has a website
Though we are continuely adding content, we have all of our past issues of
"Citizens' Report on the Military and Environment," and other publications
online. Please visit the site and send us your suggestions and critiques.

The Changing Faces of the Center for Public Environmental Oversight (CPEO)

As many of you know, in 1998 we changed our name from CAREER/PRO to the
Center
for Public Environmental Oversight (CPEO). What may not be so evident is the
addition of two new staff members. Since 1994 Lenny Siegel and myself have
shared the duties of running CPEO. Thankfully, we now have two additional
full-time staff members to help keep our mission on track, encourage us to
change our name, organize our database, design a website (more on that
later),
etc., etc., etc.

Tony Chenhansa came to us through a local internship program and decided to
stay on and coordinate our Brownfields Project. Tony was the motivating force
in us changing our name and is responsible for the Tech Tree on our website.

Jeff Green came to us by way of ISIS (Institute for Science and
Interdisciplinary Studies) at Hampshire College where he ran their military
cleanup program. Jeff will be working on our Federal Facility and Public
Participation project along with Lenny and myself. In his short time here,
Jeff has designed the homepage for our website and put many of our
publications (newsletters, papers, etc.) online.

Email addresses for the staff are:

Lenny Siegel lsiegel@cpeo.org
Aimee Houghton aimeeh@cpeo.org
Tony Chenhansa tonyc@cpeo.org
Jeff Green jgreen@cpeo.org

Aimee Houghton, Associate Director
The Center for Public Environmental Oversight
425 Market Street, 2nd Floor

San Francisco, CA 94105
tel: (415) 904-7750; fax: (415) 904-7765
Email: aimeeh@cpeo.org
http://www.cpeo.org

A Program of the San Francisco Urban Institute