1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: WJASmith@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:42:03 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Anti-WIPP article lacks critical thinking

Susan,

I disagre with your contention that Marylia Kelley's posting on the potential
problems with WIPP lacked critical thinking.  Although she may be more
sensitive to the long-term risks of WIPP than you, or I, or other technical
people in the field, I think she made some excellent points about the
shortcomings of our institutions over the geological time frames during which
these wastes will be stored.

For instance, I think questioning the ability of our governmental
institutions to prohibit oil and gas drilling near WIPP for thousands of
years is a legitimate question that deserves a more thoughtful response than
I have yet seen in this discussion group.

Bill Smith
Sierra Club
San Francisco East Bay
Military Conversion Task Force