1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Polly Parks <pparks@igc.apc.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:26:38 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Anti-WIPP article lacks critical thinking

Dear Susan,

The first part of my response to you concerned the lack of historial and
material context, particularly vis a vis the nuclear weapons program, in
your statement:

"It is not unreasonable to trade significant current risks to human
health and the environment for hypothetical future risks, especially
when the end result is an overall huge decrease in risk to the public."

Then, fully recognizing all the philosophical, budgetary and institutional
constraints and excuses you list in your response, I simply posed a fiscal
alternative that could create the political and institutional pressure to
accomplish what has not been done.  That is applying critical, meliorist
thinking to the current limitations of applied nuclear physics.

Polly Parks
Military Environmental Consultant
1025 Vermont Ave., NW, Suite 300
Washington, D.C.  20005