1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Craig Williams <kefwilli@ACS.EKU.EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 08:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Haz-Waste Incinerator/Carbon Filter Expert Sought

Dear Friends,

	We are attempting to locate someone with expertise in the area of
Carbon Filter systems in hazardous waste incinerator stacks.
	One of the major points of contention in the Oregon permit
challenge is the reliance of the Army and the Oregon DEQ on these Filters
as a permit requirement for the operation of the chemical weapons
incinerator there.  However, the Army's own risk analysis shows they
(filters) may create a greater risk to workers and the general public (ie:
back pressure=explosion, fires, major agent release due to accumulation of
agent on filter prior to "puff", etc.).
	 But,.... because the Army "sold" the DEQ on the idea that these
filters would "provide an extra layer of protection from agent, dioxin and
other emissions," before the analysis was done, they (DEQ) made them a
required part of the facility.  Now the Army finds itself in the position
of either having to modify them out of the permit, or put them on and hope
they can get them to function  (or at least appear to function).
	On June 24th, the Army/DEQ/Raytheon will be having a meeting which
will include a session on carbon filters.  They have (tentatively) provided
an hour for "citizens" to address this issue.
	OUR GOAL IS TO FIND AN EXPERT IN THIS AREA TO SUPPLEMENT OUR
"LAYMAN'S" PRESENTATION ON THIS COMPONENT OF THE INCINERATION SYSTEM.
	Please advise if you know of such an individual so we can make
contact ASAP and see if we can prepare for this event.

Thanks,
Craig
Craig Williams, Director
Kentucky Environmental Foundation