1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: StellaVB@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 20:12:29 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: MMR Munitions Cleanup - Letter to the Editor

Original message from Stella Bourassa

Greetings Curt Gandy and Everyone Else:

I am a member of the RAB committee for the Camp Bonneville Base Closure in
East Clark County, Vancouver, Washington.  Our group was fortunate enough to
have Lenny Siegel speak at our last meeting.

An issue, which seems to be a 'theme' with all base closures, is the public's
involvement (or lack thereof) in the entire process.  It appears there are
base closures that allow and embrace the public's input.  I can only base
this assumption on what is 'put out' on the Net from others.  I would like to
include my story with everyone else's, in the hope, it will benefit the
process.

I have found the more documents, manuals and information I obtain the better
equipped I am for the educated decisions that need to be made for the
'benefit of the community and military.'  I have only ran up against one
entity not allowing for public access to documents.  This was concerning a
financial feasible study through Clark County's Commissioners and the project
manager/Public Works department.  I recently ran up against this again with
the EE/CA Draft.  Through several avenues, I was able (with other's help) to
obtain this draft.  LTC R. Knight, commander of this base, and Fort Lewis,
Eric Waehling, project manager as well as others, made sure we, who wanted
this, had access to it.

There are several ways to obtain information and there are several reasons
information is not 'readily' made available.  I encourage everyone involved
with your local closures to persevere through the rough spots.  Ultimately,
we all want to see the best for our communities.

Regards,
Stella Bourassa