1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Susan Gawarecki <loc@icx.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:42:44 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Feedback requested on DNAPLs

To members of the CPEO-military list:

I am working with the Interstate Technology Regulatory Cooperation
(ITRC) work group to incorporate stakeholder perspectives into a
document of technical and regulatory guidelines for remediating sites
contaminated with Dense Non-Aqueous Phase Liquids (DNAPLs).  The purpose
is to help responsible parties, regulators and contractors make better
remediation decisions and be more effective in dealing with the public's
concerns.

Common DNAPLs include chlorinated solvents, PCBs, and coal tar/creosote
components.  We are primarily concerned with the chlorinated solvents,
such as Tetrachloroethylene (PCE), Trichloroethylene (TCE), 1-2
Dichloroethylene (DCE), Vinyl Chloride (VC), and Trichloroethane (TCA).

A variety of treatment technologies will be examined.  These include:
1. Alcohol or cosolvent flushing
2. Surfactant flushing
3. In situ oxidation
4. Soil vapor extraction and deritives
5. Air sparging
6. In-well stripping
7. Steam injection
8. Electrical heating
9. In situ vitrification
10. Electrokinetics
11. Bioremediation
12. Physical containment/isolation
13. Reactive barrier walls
14. Pump and treat

We are also looking at site characterization technologies such as ground
penetrating radar, cone penetrometer, soil coring, tracer tests, bore
hole technologies / down hole logging, dye technologies, and combined
technologies.

I am interested in stakeholder perspectives on both the issue of DNAPL
contamination and the different technologies that might be used for site
characterization and remediation.

Please forward your comments on any of the above to me at loc@icx.net.
Your experiences and opinions, both good and bad, with specific sites,
contaminants, and remediation techniques are welcome.  If you would
prefer to talk to me directly, send me your phone number and best time
to call (with time zone).

Regards,
Susan Gawarecki
Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director
Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee, Inc.
136 South Illinois Avenue, Suite 208
Oak Ridge, Tennessee  37830
Phone (423) 483-1333; Fax (423) 482-6572; E-mail loc@icx.net
VISIT OUR UPDATED WEB SITE:  http://www.local-oversight.org